Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!!!

Earth Day is one of those days that gets over looked a bit, but I always try to do something with the girls to help improve the planet, or to educate them about helping to make this planet healthier; last year we planted flower seeds. Amalie and I have been very diligent this year about watering our plant and flowers. My dad always did composting when I was younger and I really like the idea of doing a compost bin to keep the plants healthy. Did you know that up to 50% of the things we throw away are things that would be great for composting? I always feel like I'm being wasteful when I have to throw away expired fruit or veggies, so this year I found a great tutorial on making a compost bin; here is the link: http://thehappyhousewife.com/frugal-living/diy-compost-bin/.

My very helpful husband drilled the holes in the side for me.


So far all I have added is some top soil to get it started and some leaves I found around my yard, I checked my fridge for any old fruits and veggies, but couldn't find anything bad, so that part will have to wait.

The best part is that I already had everything I needed to start this, and even if you don't you can find the supplies for fairly cheep. I hope everyone had a great Earth Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment